2,4- dichlorobenzene alcohol / amyl meta cresol
What Strepsils Strawberry is and what it is used for
Strepsils Jordgubb is a throat tablet that is used for mild infections in the oral cavity and pharynx, for example for a sore throat. Strepsils Strawberry has an antibacterial and antiviral effect.
The 2,4-dichlorobenzene alcohol/amyl meta cresol contained in Strepsils Strawberry may also be approved to treat other conditions not mentioned in this product information. Ask your doctor, pharmacist, or another healthcare professional if you have any further questions and always follow their instructions.
What you need to know before taking Strepsils Strawberry
Do not use Strepsils Strawberry
- if you are allergic to 2,4-dichlorobenzene alcohol, amylmetacresol, or any of the other ingredients of this medicine (listed in section 6).
Warning and caution
Do not exceed the recommended dose.
The lozenge should not be given to young children as it may pose a risk of suffocation.
You should contact a doctor in case of persistent symptoms or high fever
Other medicines and Strepsils Strawberry
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken, or might take any other medicines.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a baby, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before using this medicine.
Information on Strepsils Strawberry during pregnancy is missing.
Driving ability and use of machinery
Strepsils Strawberry contains isomalt, maltitol, propylene glycol, sodium and flavourings
If you have an intolerance to certain sugars, you should consult your doctor before taking this medication.
This medicine contains 7.30 mg of propylene glycol per lozenge.
This medicine contains less than 1 mmol (23 mg) of sodium per dose , i.e. it is almost “sodium-free”.
Strepsils Strawberry contains isomalt and maltitol which can have a mild laxative effect when many lozenges are taken. Calorie value 2.3 kcal/g.
How to use Strepsils Strawberry
Always take this medicine exactly as described in this leaflet or as directed by your doctor or pharmacist.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure.
The recommended dose is:
Adults and children from 6 years of age: If necessary, a lozenge can be slowly dissolved in the mouth every two to three hours. The maximum recommended daily dose is 12 lozenges.
Do not exceed the recommended dose .
Use the lowest dose and the shortest possible duration of treatment needed to relieve symptoms
If you have used too much Strepsils Strawberry
Possible reactions in case of overdose are stomach upset. If you have ingested too much medicine, or if e.g. a child has ingested the medicine by mistake, contact a doctor or hospital for an assessment of the risk and advice.
If you forget to take Strepsils Strawberry
Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten lozenge.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects , although not everybody gets them.
Stop taking Strepsils Strawberry and immediately contact a doctor or go to the nearest emergency department if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- swelling of the face, tongue or throat
- difficulty swallowing
- hives and difficulty breathing
This may be a sign of a hypersensitivity reaction such as angioedema , which has been reported in an unknown number of users.
Other side effects that may occur
Has been reported (occurring in an unknown number of users):
- Abdominal pain, nausea and discomfort in the mouth. Rash.
How Strepsils Strawberry should be stored
Store at a maximum of 25ºC.
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
Use before the expiry date stated on the packaging. The expiration date is the last day of the specified month.
Contents of the packaging and other information
- The active substances are: 2,4-dichlorobenzyl alcohol, amyl metacresol.One lozenge contains 2,4-dichlorobenzyl alcohol 1.2 mg, amyl metacresol 0.6 mg
- Other ingredients are: Tartaric acid, strawberry aroma, anthocyanins (E 163), sodium saccharin, isomalt, maltitol.
Appearance and package sizes of the medicine
The tablets are transparent, round and pink with an S engraved on the top and bottom.
Pressed packaging (PVC/Polyvinylidene chloride/aluminium foil), 10, 12, 16, 24 and 36 lozenges.
Marketing Authorisation Holder
Marketing authorization holder and manufacturer
Reckitt Benckiser Healthcare (Scandinavia) A/S
Phone: +45 4444 9701
RB NL Brands BV
WTC Schiphol Airport,
Schiphol Boulevard 207,
1118 BH Schiphol,
- Ultiva – Remifentanil uses, dose and side effects
- Ultibro Breezhaler – Indacaterol/glycopyrronium uses, dose and side effects
- Ucedane – Carglumic acid uses, dose and side effects
- Tyverb – Lapatinib uses, dose and side effects
- Tysabri – Natalizumab uses, dose and side effects
- Typhim Vi uses, dose and side effects
- Tygacil – Tigecycline uses, dose and side effects
- Tybost – Cobicistat uses, dose and side effects
- Twinrix Adult uses, dose and side effects
- Twinrix Pediatric uses, dose and side effects
- Tukysa – Tukatinib uses, dose and side effects
- Tuberculin PPD RT 23 AJVaccines – Tuberculin purified protein derivative (PPD) RT 23 uses, dose and side effects
- Truxima – Rituximab uses, dose and side effects
- Truxal – Klorprotixen uses, dose and side effects
- Truvada – Emtricitabine/Tenofovir disoproxil uses, dose and side effects
- Trusopt – Dorzolamide uses, dose and side effects
- Trumenba – Meningococcal group B vaccine uses, dose and side effects
- Trulicity – Dulaglutide uses, dose and side effects
- Tropikamid Bausch and Lomb – Tropicamide uses, dose and side effects
- Trombyl – Acetylsalicylic acid uses, dose and side effects