2,4- dichlorobenzene alcohol / amyl metacresol
What Strepsils Citron is and what it is used for
Strepsils Citron is a throat tablet that is used for mild infections in the oral cavity and pharynx, for example for a sore throat. Strepsils Citron has an antibacterial and antiviral effect.
The 2,4-dichlorobenzyl alcohol/amyl metacresol found in Strepsils Citron may also be approved to treat other conditions not mentioned in this product information. Ask your doctor, pharmacist or other healthcare professional if you have any further questions and always follow their instructions.
What you need to know before using Strepsils Lemon
Do not use Strepsils Lemon
- if you are allergic to 2,4-dichlorobenzyl alcohol, amylmetacresol or any of the other ingredients of this medicine (listed in section 6).
Warnings and precautions
Do not exceed the recommended dose .
The lozenge should not be given to small children as it may pose a risk of suffocation.
Other medicines and Strepsils Citron
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a baby, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before using this medicine.
Information on Strepsils Citron during pregnancy is missing.
Driving ability and use of machinery
Strepsils Citron contains isomalt, maltitol, sodium and lemon aroma
If you have an intolerance to certain sugars, you should consult your doctor before taking this medication.
Strepsils Citron contains isomalt and maltitol which can have a mild laxative effect when many lozenges are taken. Calorie value 2.3 kcal/g.
This medicine contains less than 1 mmol (23 mg) of sodium per dose , i.e. it is almost “sodium-free”.
How to use Strepsils Lemon
Always take this medicine exactly as described in this leaflet or as directed by your doctor or pharmacist.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure.
The recommended dose is:
Adults and children from 6 years of age: 1 lozenge may be slowly dissolved in the mouth every two to three hours if necessary. The maximum recommended daily dose is 12 lozenges. Do not exceed the recommended dose .
Use the lowest dose and the shortest possible duration of treatment needed to relieve symptoms.
If you have taken too much Strepsils Citron
Possible reactions in case of overdose are stomach upset. If you have ingested too much medicine or if, for example, a child has ingested the medicine by mistake, contact a doctor or hospital for an assessment of the risk and advice.
If you forget to take Strepsils Citron
Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten lozenge.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects , although not everybody gets them.
Stop taking Strepsils Citron and immediately contact a doctor or go to the nearest emergency department if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- swelling of the face, tongue or throat
- difficulty swallowing
- hives and difficulty breathing.
This may be a sign of hypersensitivity reactions such as angioedema , which has been reported in an unknown number of users.
Other side effects that may occur
Has been reported (occurring in an unknown number of users):
- Abdominal pain, nausea and discomfort in the mouth. Rash.
How Strepsils Citron should be stored
Store at a maximum of 25ºC.
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
Use before the expiry date stated on the packaging. The expiration date is the last day of the specified month.
Contents of the packaging and other information
The active substances are 2,4-dichlorobenzyl alcohol, amyl metacresol. One lozenge contains 2,4-dichlorobenzyl alcohol 1.2 mg, amyl metacresol 0.6 mg.
Appearance and package sizes of the medicine
The tablets are white to pale yellow, round lozenges with an S engraved on the top and bottom. The tablets have a characteristic smell and taste of lemon. The diameter is approximately 18 mm.
6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32, 36, 40, 44, 48 and 72 lozenges
Marketing authorization holder and manufacturer
Reckitt Benckiser Healthcare (Scandinavia) A/S
Phone: +45 4444 9701
RB NL Brands BV
WTC Schiphol Airport,
Schiphol Boulevard 207,
1118 BH Schiphol,
- Ultiva – Remifentanil uses, dose and side effects
- Ultibro Breezhaler – Indacaterol/glycopyrronium uses, dose and side effects
- Ucedane – Carglumic acid uses, dose and side effects
- Tyverb – Lapatinib uses, dose and side effects
- Tysabri – Natalizumab uses, dose and side effects
- Typhim Vi uses, dose and side effects
- Tygacil – Tigecycline uses, dose and side effects
- Tybost – Cobicistat uses, dose and side effects
- Twinrix Adult uses, dose and side effects
- Twinrix Pediatric uses, dose and side effects
- Tukysa – Tukatinib uses, dose and side effects
- Tuberculin PPD RT 23 AJVaccines – Tuberculin purified protein derivative (PPD) RT 23 uses, dose and side effects
- Truxima – Rituximab uses, dose and side effects
- Truxal – Klorprotixen uses, dose and side effects
- Truvada – Emtricitabine/Tenofovir disoproxil uses, dose and side effects
- Trusopt – Dorzolamide uses, dose and side effects
- Trumenba – Meningococcal group B vaccine uses, dose and side effects
- Trulicity – Dulaglutide uses, dose and side effects
- Tropikamid Bausch and Lomb – Tropicamide uses, dose and side effects
- Trombyl – Acetylsalicylic acid uses, dose and side effects