0 mg / ml solution for infusion
Glucose, sodium chloride, potassium chloride
What Glucose Braun 50 mg / ml with Na40 + K20 is and what it is used for
Glucose Braun 50 mg/ml with Na40 + K20 is an infusion fluid that contains glucose (sugar), sodium, and potassium ( electrolytes that are important for fluid and salt balance in the body).
Glucose Braun 50 mg/ml with Na40 + K20 is used to treat dehydration without significant deficiency of electrolytes (salts).
Glucose, sodium chloride, and potassium chloride contained in Glucose Braun 50 mg/ml with Na40 + K20 may also be approved for the treatment of other conditions not mentioned in this product information. Ask your doctor, pharmacist, or other healthcare professional if you have any further questions, and always follow their instructions.
What you need to know before you get Glucose Braun 50 mg / ml with Na40 + K20
Do not use Glucose Braun 50 mg / ml with Na40 + K20
- if you have high blood sugar (pronounced hyperglycaemia ) that does not respond to insulin doses up to 6 units / hour.
Warnings and cautions
Talk to your doctor or nurse before using Glucose Braun 50 mg/ml with Na40 + K20:
- if you have diabetes
- if you have severe heart failure
- if you have impaired kidney function
- if you have problems with the liquid level in the brain (for example, because of hjärnhinne- inflammation , bleeding within the skull or brain injury)
- if you have a disease / condition that can cause high levels of vasopressin , a hormone that regulates fluid levels in the body, such as:
- an acute and serious illness or injury
- you have recently had surgery
- disease of the brain
- you are taking certain medicines (see section Other medicines and Glucose Braun 50 mg / ml with Na40 + K20).
This can increase the risk of low sodium levels in the blood and can lead to headaches, nausea, seizures, fatigue, coma, and swelling of the brain.
Your fluid balance and your levels of glucose, sodium, potassium, and other electrolytes may need to be checked before and during treatment. You may therefore be allowed to submit blood samples before and during treatment.
Other medicines and Glucose Braun 50 mg / ml with Na40 + K20
Tell your doctor if you are taking, have recently taken, or might take any other medicines.
It is especially important that you tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines:
- certain cancer drugs
- selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (used to treat depression)
- certain medicines for mental illness (antipsychotics)
- morphine-like drugs ( opioids )
- medicines for pain and / or inflammation (also called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ( NSAIDs ))
- certain medicines for epilepsy
- oxytocin (used to initiate labor, by caesarean section, to control postpartum haemorrhage, miscarriage or miscarriage).
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, think you may be pregnant, or are planning to have a baby, ask your doctor for advice before using this medicine.
Driving and using machines
This medicine has no or negligible effect on the ability to drive and use machines.
3. How to get Glucose Braun 50 mg / ml with Na40 + K20
Glucose Braun 50 mg/ml with Na40 + K20 is given to you by a doctor or nurse. The healthcare professional will give you the amount of Glucose Braun 50 mg/ml with Na40 + K20 infusion solution that meets your needs. Dose one depends on your age, your weight, and your condition.
The drug is given in the form of a drip into a vein ( intravenous infusion ). In some cases, the infusion solution can also be given under the skin ( subcutaneously ).
If you get more Glucose Braun 50 mg / ml with Na40 + K20
This is unlikely to happen because this medicine is given by healthcare professionals.
Overdose can cause dehydration with symptoms such as tense skin, fluid retention ( edema in the body, including the lungs (which can cause difficulty breathing) and in the brain, disturbances in the acid-base balance, and elevated blood sugar levels.
If any of these occur, tell your doctor or nurse immediately. The medical staff will discontinue the infusion. Treatment depends on what symptoms you have.
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or nurse.
4. Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
The following side effects have been reported:
Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people):
- inflammation with thrombosis ( thrombophlebitis ) in a blood vessel
Has been reported (occurs in an unknown number of users):
- low sodium levels in the blood ( hyponatremia )
- swelling of the brain which can cause brain damage (hyponatremic encephalopathy )
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or nurse. This also applies to any side effects not mentioned in this information. You can also report side effects directly to the Medical Products Agency, www.lakemedelsverket.se. By reporting side effects, you can help increase drug safety information. Postal address
5. How to store Glucose Braun 50 mg / ml with Na40 + K20
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the carton. The expiration date is the last day of the specified month. The unused solution in an opened container should be discarded.
Do not use this medicine if the solution is not clear or if the container or its closure is damaged.
No special storage instructions.
Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
6. Contents of the packaging and other information
- The active substances in 1,000 ml of infusion solution are glucose 50.0 g (in the form of glucose monohydrate, 55.0 g), sodium chloride 2.3 g and potassium chloride 1.5 g.
- The other ingredient is water for injections
|Sodium||40 mmol / l|
|Potassium||20 mmol / l|
|Chloride||60 mmol / l|
|Calorie value||837 kJ (200 kcal)|
|Theoretical osmolarity||398 mOsm / l|
|Acidimetric titration (to pH 7)||<0.5 mmol / l|
What the medicine looks like and contents of the pack
Glucose Braun 50 mg / ml with Na40 + K20 is a solution for infusion .
It is a clear, colorless aqueous solution.
Pack size: Ecoflac Plus polyethylene container 10 x 1,000 ml.
Marketing Authorization Holder and Manufacturer
Marketing Authorisation Holder:
B Braun Melsungen AG
B. Braun Melsungen AG
B. Braun Medical SA
Terrace of Terrace 121
08191 Rubi, Barcelona, Spain
Information provided by:
B. Braun Medical AB
182 12 Danderyd