infusion solution glucose solution
What Glucos. B. Braun 50 mg / ml is and what it is used for
Glucos. B. Braun 50 mg/ml is a sterile solution containing glucose in water. It is used either to give you fluids and glucose or to dissolve other medicines.
2. What You Need To Know Before Getting Glucos. B. Brown 50 mg / ml
You should not be given Glucos. B. Braun 50 mg / ml if you have:
- too high blood sugar ( hyperglycaemia ) which requires more than 6 units of insulin per hour to control
- high level of lactic acid in the blood (lactic acidosis)
- too much fluid in the body ( hypotonic hyperhydration or isotonic hyperhydration)
- acute heart failure
- water in the lungs ( pulmonary edema ).
Warnings and cautions
Talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or nurse before giving Glucos. B. Braun 50 mg/ml if you:
- have diabetes mellitus
- have impaired glucose metabolism (eg after surgery or injury)
- has impaired renal function
- is malnourished and has a B-vitamin deficiency
- if you have problems with the fluid level in the brain (for example due to meningitis , bleeding in the skull or brain damage)
- if you have a disease / condition that can cause high levels of vasopressin , a hormone that regulates fluid levels in the body, such as:
- an acute and serious illness or injury
- you have recently had surgery
- disease of the brain
- you are taking certain medicines (see section Other medicines and Glucos. B. Braun 50 mg / ml).This can increase the risk of low sodium levels in the blood and can lead to headaches, nausea, seizures, fatigue, coma and swelling of the brain.
Your doctor will consider very carefully whether this medicine is suitable for you.
You should not normally be given this medicine if you have or have recently had a stroke unless your doctor thinks it is necessary for your recovery.
Your levels of blood sugar, fluids, electrolytes (salts, especially sodium and potassium ), and your acid-base balance are checked to ensure that they are correct during infusion. You may therefore be allowed to submit blood samples.
An adequate supply of electrolytes (especially potassium and sodium ) will be ensured.
If necessary, you will be given insulin to keep your blood sugar under control.
If you also need a blood transfusion, these will be given via another tube.
Carefully read the package leaflet for the medicines to be dissolved or diluted with Glucos. B. Brown 50 mg/ml.
Special care will be taken when giving this medicine to children. Fluid levels in the body, urine production, and electrolyte concentrations in the blood and urine will be closely monitored.
Other drugs and Glucos. B. Brown 50 mg / ml
Tell your doctor if you are taking, have recently taken, or might take any other medicines.
It is important that you tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines, as they may increase the risk of side effects due to low levels of sodium in your blood (see section Warnings and Precautions):
- certain cancer drugs
- selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (used to treat depression)
- certain medicines for mental illness (antipsychotics)
- morphine-like drugs ( opioids )
- medicines for pain and / or inflammation (also called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ( NSAIDs ))
- certain medicines for epilepsy
- oxytocin (used during pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum care)
- diuretics ( diuretics ).
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, think you may be pregnant, or are planning to have a baby, ask your doctor for advice before using this medicine.
Your doctor will make a careful assessment of whether you should get this solution if you are pregnant.
This solution can be used during breastfeeding.
Driving and using machines
This medicine does not affect your ability to drive or use machines.
Also, take into account relevant information in the package leaflet for the medicines to be reconstituted or diluted with Glucos. B. Brown 50 mg/ml.
3. How Glucos. B. Braun 50 mg / ml is used
Your doctor will decide on the dose of Glucos B. Braun 50 mg/ml you should receive.
When this medicine is given to supply fluids, the amount of solution you get depends on your age, weight, and your medical and physical condition.
When this medicine is used to dissolve or dilute other medicines, the amount of solution you get depends on the concentration of the medicine to be dissolved or diluted.
Use for children
About Glucos. B. Braun 50 mg/ml is given to children, the dose should be as low as possible.
Method of administration
Glucos. B. Braun 50 mg/ml is given by a drip into a vein.
If you have ingested too much Glucos. B. Brown 50 mg / ml
This is unlikely to happen because your doctor will determine your daily dose.
Overdose of glucose can lead to:
- too high blood sugar levels ( hyperglycaemia )
- Urinary glucose loss ( glucosuria )
- abnormally highly concentrated body fluids ( serum hyperosmolarity )
- dehydration in the body ( dehydration )
- impaired consciousness or unconsciousness due to extremely high blood sugar levels or too concentrated body fluids (hyperglycaemic-hyperosmolar coma ).
Overdosing of fluids can lead to overhydration with:
- increased skin tension
- feeling heavy and swelling of the legs (left)
- tissue swelling ( edema ), possibly with water in the lungs ( pulmonary edema ) or swelling in the brain (cerebral edema)
- abnormally high or low electrolyte levels in the blood, e.g. low sodium levels ( hyponatremia ) or low potassium levels ( hypokalaemia )
- disturbances in the acid-base balance.
In case of overdose, you may experience nausea, vomiting, and spasms.
Additional symptoms of overdose may also occur depending on the type of drug to be dissolved or diluted with Glucos. B. Brown 50 mg/ml. Also, observe the relevant information in the package leaflet for the medicines to be reconstituted or diluted with Glucos. B. Brown 50 mg/ml.
If you experience symptoms, the glucose infusion may be slowed down or stopped.
Your doctor will decide if you need further treatment, e.g. administration of insulin, diuretics ( diuretics ), or electrolytes (salts).
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
4. Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Has been reported (occurs in an unknown number of users):
- abnormally high or low electrolyte levels in the blood, e.g. not enough potassium ( hypokalaemia )
- low sodium levels in the blood ( hyponatremia )
- swelling of the brain which can cause brain damage.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or nurse. This also applies to any side effects not mentioned in this information. You can also report side effects directly to the Medical Products Agency. By reporting side effects, you can help increase drug safety information.
5. How Glucos. B. Braun 50 mg / ml should be stored
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the carton after EXP. The expiration date is the last day of the specified month.
No special storage instructions.
Only use this medicine if the solution is clear and colorless or almost colorless and if the container and its closure are undamaged.
The containers are for single use only. Discard the container and any unused contents after use.
Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
6. Contents of the packaging and other information
- The active substance is glucose . One liter of this medicine contains 55 g of glucose monohydrate, equivalent to 50 g of glucose .
- Other ingredients: Water for injections.
|Energy||837 kJ / l (200 kcal / l)|
|Theoretical osmolarity||278 mOsm / l|
|Acidity (titrated to pH 7.4)||<0.5 mmol / l NaOH|
What the medicine looks like and contents of the pack
Glucos. B. Braun 50 mg / ml is a solution for infusion (for administration by drip into a vein).
It is a clear, colorless or almost colorless solution that contains glucose in water.
Ecoflac plus plastic packaging (LDPE): 20 x 100 ml, 10 x 250 ml, 10 x 500 ml, 10 x 1,000 ml
Not all pack sizes may be marketed.
Marketing Authorization Holder and Manufacturer
Marketing Authorisation Holder
B. Braun Melsungen AG
B. Braun Melsungen AG
B. Braun Medical SA
Carretera de Terrassa 121
08191 Rubi, Barcelona
Further information on this medicine can be obtained from the representative of the marketing authorization holder:
B. Braun Medical AB
182 12 Danderyd