100 mg Doxycycline tablets
1. What Doxycycline EQL Pharma is and what it is used for
Doxycycline EQL Pharma is an antibiotic that prevents the growth of bacteria.
Doxycycline EQL Pharma is used in the treatment of pulmonary inflammation, acute worsening of chronic bronchitis ( bronchitis ), chlamydia infections of the genitourinary tract. Lyme disease infection is after tick bites. Doxycycline EQL Pharma is also used in acute sinusitis in patients who are hypersensitive to penicillins or when treatment with penicillin has not given the desired effect.
2. What you need to know before taking Doxycycline EQL Pharma
Do not take Doxycycline EQL Pharma:
- if you are hypersensitive to doxycycline or tetracyclines or any of the other ingredients of Doxycycline EQL Pharma.
Warnings and cautions
Talk to your doctor before using Doxycycline EQL Pharma
- if you have no production of hydrochloric acid in your stomach, tell your doctor
- if you get prolonged and/or troublesome diarrhea, you should contact a doctor
- if you have myasthenia gravis (a disease that distorts the muscles)
Due to the risk of allergic skin reactions, you should avoid sunbathing, including sunbathing in tanning beds, during the treatment period and for at least another 5 days after the end of the treatment.
Children under 8 years of age should only be treated with Doxycycline EQL Pharma on the prescription of a doctor because this type of medicine ( tetracyclines ) can affect the tooth enamel so that it discolors or develops incompletely and due to storage in the growing skeleton.
Other medicines and Doxycycline EQL Pharma
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
The following drugs should be avoided during treatment with Doxycycline EQL Pharma:
- antacids (for the treatment of acid reflux)
- iron medicine
- quinapril (for high blood pressure )
- didanosine (for viral infections)
- atovaquone (against pneumonia (pneumocystis carinii) and malaria )
The following medicines may reduce the effect of Doxycycline EQL Pharma if taken together:
- calcium (should be taken at least 3 hours before or after Doxycycline EQL Pharma)
- rifampicin (for tuberculosis )
- phenobarbital, phenytoin, carbamazepine (for epilepsy )
- omeprazole, pantoprazole, lansoprazole, rebeprazole, esomeprazole(reduces the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach)
If you are taking anticoagulants at the same time during long-term treatment (medicines that reduce the blood’s ability to clot), talk to your doctor before using Doxycycline EQL Pharma, as the dose for anticoagulants may need to be reduced.
Doxycycline EQL Pharma with food and drink
The effect of Doxycycline EQL Pharma may be affected by concomitant use of alcohol.
The effect of Doxycycline EQL Pharma is only slightly affected by milk and dairy products or other foods.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking any medicine.
There is a risk of fetal harm. Do not use Doxycycline EQL Pharma during pregnancy except on special prescription by doctors.
Doxycycline EQL Pharma passes into breast milk but is unlikely to affect breastfed infants.
Driving and using machines
Doxycycline EQL Pharma does not affect the ability to drive or use machines.
Doxycycline EQL Pharma contains lactose
If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicine.
3. How to take Doxycycline EQL Pharma
Always take Doxycycline EQL Pharma exactly as your doctor has told you. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure.
Swallow the tablets with a glass of liquid. The notch is only for you to be able to divide the tablet if you have difficulty swallowing it whole.
Take the tablets with food to prevent stomach upset. Do not lie down while taking the tablets.
The usual dose for adults and children over 12 years: First day 2 tablets, then one tablet daily.
Because doxycycline is slowly excreted from the body, a daily dose is sufficient in most cases.
If you take more Doxycycline EQL Pharma then you should
If you have ingested too much medicine or if e.g. a child ingested the medicine by mistake, contact a doctor, hospital, or the Poison Information Center for risk assessment and advice.
If you forget to take Doxycycline EQL Pharma
Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten tablet.
If you stop taking Doxycycline EQL Pharma
Even after a couple of days of treatment with Doxycycline EQL Pharma, the signs of infection may have disappeared, but you must continue treatment according to your doctor’s instructions. Otherwise, there is a risk that infection will return
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
4. Possible side effects
Like all medicines, Doxycycline EQL Pharma can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
In case of sudden onset of skin rash, fever, difficulty breathing, and/or swelling of the face, a hospital or doctor should be contacted and treatment discontinued.
Contact your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following symptoms occur:
Jarisch-Herxheimer’s reaction causes fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, and rash. These symptoms are usually self-limiting. This occurs shortly after starting doxycycline treatment of infections caused by spirochete such as Lyme disease infection.
Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea are common side effects. To reduce these side effects, you can take Doxycycline EQL Pharma with food.
Common (affects more than 1 user in 100)
Uncommon (affects less than 1 user in 100)
- Skin and hives
- Hypersensitivity to sunlight (see also section “Warnings and precautions” )
Rare (affects less than 1 user in 1,000)
- Hypersensitivity reaction
- Decreased platelet count ( thrombocytopenia )
- Nail removal
- Reddening of the skin
- Mucosal and skin inflammations of varying severity
- Elevated pressure in the head (which may cause symptoms in the form of headache or decreased visual acuity )
- Inflammation of the colon.
Fungal growth in the mucous membranes of the mouth or vagina can sometimes occur because the normal bacterial flora is affected, and can cause inflammation. If problems occur and persist for several days or are experienced as severe, contact a doctor.
5. How to store Doxycycline EQL Pharma
Keep out of sight and reach of children.
Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the carton after EXP. That. The expiration date is the last day of the specified month.
No special storage instructions.
The medicine should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
6. Contents of the packaging and other information
- The active substance is doxycycline monohydrate equivalent to 100 mg doxycycline per tablet.
- The other ingredients are microcrystalline cellulose, sodium starch glycolate, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, talc, magnesium stearate, colloidal silica.
What the medicine looks like and the contents of the pack
Gray-yellow, round and cupped tablet with a scoreline.
Blisters of 10 or 15 tablets in pack sizes of 10, 15, 20, 30, and 100 tablets.
Marketing Authorization Holder and Manufacturer
Marketing Authorization Holder and Manufacturer
EQL Pharma AB
222 23 Lund