150mg / ml oral suspension
What Carbon Suspension is and what it is used for
Carbon suspension contains activated carbon. Carbon binds a number of substances harmful to the body to its surface, such as chemical toxins, drugs and bacterial toxins, thus preventing them from being absorbed into the body. Effective in acute poisonings and poisoning incidents.
What you need to know before taking Carbon Suspension
Do not take Carbon Suspension
- if you are allergic to activated charcoal or any of the other ingredients of this medicine (listed in section 6).
Warnings and cautions
Carbon suspension is ineffective in lye and acid poisoning.
Talk to a doctor, pharmacist or nurse before taking Carbon Suspension.
Other medicines and Carbon suspension
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medicines.
Activated carbon can reduce the effect of other medicines when taken at the same time. Carbon suspension and other medications should therefore be taken at least 2 hours apart.
No known risks when used during pregnancy.
No known effects on the breast-fed baby.
Driving and using machines
Carbon suspension has no or negligible effect on the ability to drive and use machines.
Carbon suspension contains
- 0.2 vol% ethanol (alcohol) ie up to 0.17 g per dose for an adult, corresponding to 4.3 ml of beer or 1.8 ml of wine per dose . Harmful to people suffering from alcoholism. Attention should be paid to pregnant and lactating women, children and high-risk groups such as patients with liver disease or epilepsy .
- sorbitol (E420), which is a type of sugar. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicine. May have a mild laxative effect. Caloric value: 2.6 kcal / g sorbitol.
- propyl hydroxybenzoate (E216), which may cause allergic reactions (possibly delayed)
- methyl hydroxybenzoate (E218), which may cause allergic reactions (possibly delayed)
How to take Carbon Suspension
Use for children and adolescents
Always take this medicine exactly as described in this leaflet or as your doctor, pharmacist or nurse has told you. If you are not sure, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse.
Recommended dose in case of acute poisoning and poisoning incident: In case of acute poisoning, carbon should be given as soon as possible after the toxic substance has been ingested, preferably within 5-10 minutes. Dose one is adjusted according to the estimated amount of poison consumed. Weight-to-carbon ratio should be at least 1:10. 15 ml Carbon suspension corresponds to 2.25 g of carbon.
Children: approx. 70 ml (equivalent to ¾ bottle Carbon suspension) as soon as possible after ingestion of the toxic substance.
Adults: about 150 ml (equivalent to 1 bottle of Carbon Suspension) as soon as possible after ingestion of the toxic substance.
The consistency becomes more fluid if the bottle is shaken before the product is taken.
In case of poisoning, always contact a doctor or the Poison Information Center tel 112.
If you have taken too much Kolsuspension
If you have ingested too much medicine or if e.g. If a child has ingested the medicine by mistake, contact a doctor, hospital or the Poison Information Center (tel. 112) for risk assessment and advice.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects , although not everybody gets them.
Uncommon (may affect up to 1 in 100 people): Constipation. With large intake of sorbitol, diarrhea may occur.
Additional side effects in children and adolescents
Upon administration of the suspension of coal and sorbitoltillsats to children isolated cases of disturbed electrolyte for diarrhea reported.
How to store Carbon Suspension
Do not store above 25 ° C.
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the label after EXP. The expiration date is the last day of the specified month.
Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
Contents of the pack and other information
- The active substance is activated carbon 150 mg / ml.
- The other ingredients (excipients) are sorbitol 120 mg / ml (sweetener E420), magnesium aluminum silicate, carmellose sodium, methyl parahydroxybenzoate ( preservative E218), propyl parahydroxybenzoate ( preservative E216), ethanol (96%) 1.2 mg water (96%).
What the medicine looks like and contents of the pack
Carbon suspension is a black viscous oral suspension .
Carbon suspension is packaged in a 100 ml plastic bottle.
Marketing Authorization Holder and Manufacturer
ABIGO Medical AB
436 33 Askim