0.25 mg / dose and 0.5 mg / dose of inhaled powder
1. What Bricanyl Turbohaler is and what it is used for
Bricanyl Turbohaler makes it easier to breathe by dilating the trachea and relieving the cramp in the tracheal muscles. Dehydration of viscous mucus is facilitated.
Bricanyl Turbohaler is used for:
- cramps in the muscles of the airways that are not controlled by the will ( smooth muscles )
- tracheal catarrh ( chronic bronchitis )
- damage to the alveoli ( emphysema )
- other lung diseases that cause a contraction of the airways.
Bricanyl Turbohaler is used for quick relief in acute ailments.
2. What you need to know before taking Bricanyl Turbohaler
Do not take Bricanyl Turbohaler
- if you are allergic to terbutaline sulfate or any of the other ingredients of this medicine (listed in section 6).
Warnings and cautions
Talk to your doctor before using Bricanyl Turbohaler if you have any of the following conditions:
- increased thyroid function ( hyperthyroidism )
- too low potassium levels in the blood
- diabetes (diabetes)
- heart disease, irregular heartbeat, or angina pectoris (angina)
- glaucoma with narrow ventricular angle.
If you notice that the effect of Bricanyl Turbohaler is deteriorating and you need to take a higher dose than usual, contact your doctor.
Your treatment may need to be reviewed. Do not increase your dose of Bricanyl Turbohaler without talking to your doctor.
Other medicines and Bricanyl Turbohaler
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken, or might take any other medicines. Some medicines may affect or be affected by treatment with Bricanyl Turbohaler, for example:
- certain medicines including eye drop that contain e.g. sotalol, atenolol, metoprolol, or timolol (so-called beta-blockers ) for the treatment of high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, and certain eye diseases
- certain other bronchodilators, so-called xanthine derivatives, or medicines containing salbutamol or ipratropium
- medicines containing cortisone
- certain drugs under anesthesia (anesthesia).
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a baby, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking this medicine.
No known risks when using Bricanyl Turbohaler during pregnancy. However, caution is recommended during the first trimester.
Terbutaline sulphate passes into breast milk but is unlikely to affect breastfed infants.
Driving and using machines
Bricanyl Turbohaler does not affect your ability to drive or use machines.
Bricanyl Turbohaler contains lactose
Bricanyl Turbohaler contains lactose , which is a type of sugar. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before using this medicine. The amount of lactose in this medicine does not normally cause problems in people who are lactose intolerant.
Lactose may contain small residues of milk protein. In patients with hypersensitivity to milk proteins, these small residues can cause allergic reactions.
3. How to use Bricanyl Turbohaler
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure.
Bricanyl Turbohaler is powered solely by your own inhalation. The medicine accompanies the inhaled air into the airways. It is therefore important that you inhale deeply and strongly when taking your dose. The amount of active substances in each dose is very small. You may not feel any taste or otherwise notice the medicine. If you follow the instructions at the end of this leaflet, you can still be sure that you have inhaled dose one.
With each inhalation, some of the medicine may get stuck inside the mouth and in the throat. To reduce the risk of side effects, it is recommended that you rinse your mouth with water after using Bricanyl Turbohaler, if possible.
If you take more Bricanyl Turbohaler than you should
Over time, it is possible for inhalation powder to accumulate in the mouthpiece of the Bricanyl Turbohaler. This powder may come loose if the inhaler is dropped or dropped (eg from a table). To limit unnecessary exposure to the active substance, the mouth should be rinsed after each inhalation.
4. Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Most of the side effects that Bricanyl Turbohaler can cause usually occur at the beginning of treatment and usually disappear within 1-2 weeks. If side effects persist or are bothersome or if you notice any side effects not mentioned in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Serious side effects are
No known frequency (cannot be calculated from the available data):
Chest pain (due to heart problems such as angina ( angina pectoris )). If this happens, tell your doctor or nurse immediately. However, you should not stop using the medicine unless your doctor tells you to.
Other side effects ar
Very common (affects more than 1 user in 10): Tremors, headache.
Common (affects more than 1 user in 100): Low blood potassium, palpitations, muscle cramps.
No known frequency (can not be calculated from the available data): Restlessness, overactivity, agitation and sleep disorders, irregular heartbeat, bronchospasm(a contraction of the muscles of the trachea, which produces wheezing), nausea, itching, rash.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly to the Medical Products Agency, www.lakemedelsverket.se. By reporting side effects, you can help increase drug safety information.
5. How to store Bricanyl Turbohaler
Store the inhaler with the protective sleeve on.
Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the inhaler and pack after EXP.
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These measures will help to protect the environment.
6. Contents of the packaging and other information
One dose ( inhalation ) contains:
- The active substance is terbutaline sulphate 0.25 mg and 0.5 mg respectively.
- The excipient lactose
What the medicine looks like and the contents of the pack
0.25 mg / dose: Each inhaler contains 120 doses . Each pack contains 1 inhaler (1×120 doses ).
0.5 mg / dose: Each inhaler contains 120 doses . Each pack contains 1 or 2 inhalers(1×120 dose or 2×120 dose ).
Not all pack sizes may be marketed.
Marketing Authorization Holder and Manufacturer
AstraZeneca AB, 151 85 Södertälje
Preparing your new Bricanyl Turbohaler inhaler
Before using your new Bricanyl Turbohaler inhaler for the first time , you need to prepare it for use as follows:
- Unscrew the protective sleeve and lift it off. You can hear a rattling sound.
- Hold your Bricanyl Turbohaler inhaler upright with the blue knob facing down.
- Turn the blue knob in one direction as far as it will go. Then turn it the other way as far as it will go (it does not matter which direction you turn first).
- You should hear a clicking sound.
- Repeat this again, turning the blue knob in both directions.
- Your Bricanyl Turbohaler inhaler is now ready to use.
How to take an inhale
Each time you need to inhale, follow the instructions below.
- Unscrew the protective sleeve and lift it off. You can hear a rattling sound.
Hold your Bricanyl Turbohaler inhaler upright with the blue knob facing down.
- Do not hold the nozzle when charging your Bricanyl Turbohaler. To feed a dose, turn the blue knob in one direction as far as it will go. Then turn it the other way as far as it will go (it does not matter which direction you turn first). You should hear a clicking sound. Your Bricanyl Turbohaler is now charged and ready to use. Only charge your Bricanyl Turbohaler when you need to use it.
- Keep your Bricanyl Turbohaler away from your mouth. Exhale calmly (as much as feels comfortable). Do not exhale through your Bricanyl Turbohaler.
- Carefully place the nozzle between the teeth. Close your lips. Inhale through your mouth as deeply and powerfully as you can. Do not chew or bite on the nozzle.
- Remove the Bricanyl Turbohaler inhaler from the mouth. Then exhale gently. The amount of drug inhaled is very small. This means that you may not feel any taste of it after inhaling one. If you have followed the instructions, you can be sure that you have inhaled dose one and that the medicine is now in your lungs.
- If you are going to take another dose, repeat steps 2 to 6.
- Replace the protective sleeve securely after use.
- If possible, rinse your mouth with water after each dosing session to remove any remaining medicine in your mouth.
As with other inhalers, caregivers should ensure that children prescribed Bricanyl Turbohaler use the correct inhalation technique, as described above.
Do not attempt to remove the nozzle as it is attached to your Turbohaler and must not be removed. The nozzle can be turned but do not turn it unnecessarily. Do not use your Turbohaler if it has been damaged or if the nozzle has come loose from your Turbohaler.
How to clean your Turbohaler
Wipe the outside of the nozzle once a week with a dry cloth. Do not use water or liquids.
When to start using a new Turbohaler
The dose indicator indicates how many doses you have left in your Turbohaler. When full, it contains 120 doses.
- The dose indicator is marked in intervals of 10 doses. It does not show every dose. When you see a red mark at the edge of the indicator window, there are about 20 doses left. For the last 10 doses, the background of the dose indicator is red. When “0” with a red background appears in the center of the window, you must start with a new Bricanyl Turbohaler inhaler.
- The knob can be turned and ” clicks ” even when your Turbohaler is empty.
- The sound you hear when you shake your Turbohaler comes from a desiccant and not from the medicine. The sound therefore does not indicate how much medicine is left in your Turbohaler .
- If you accidentally charge your Bricanyl Turbohaler more than once before taking your dose, you will still receive only one dose. However, the dose indicator will record all charged doses.